Monday, February 13, 2012

Don’t like Tequila or Guacamole? Me either!

Everyone gives me a hard time for living in Mexico and not liking tequila or guacamole. I know it’s odd, but I’ll admit that I’ve always been a fairly picky eater. I grew up in a “meat & potatoes” household, so for about the past 20 years I’ve been trying to expand my horizons by trying different genres of food. Unfortunately, I have a texture issue with some things and avocados and guacamole fall into that category. As for tequila, well, I think many of us can say we’ve had a bad experience with tequila at some point in time. When I uttered the words “I’m never drinking tequila again,” I meant it. 

So, what does one eat if not the fundamentals of a Mexican diet? The answer:  A LOT! There are countless restaurants in Puerto Vallarta, offering a diverse selection of cuisine. Here are some of my favorites:

La Cigale: Crossing the threshold of La Cigale, you will be instantly transported to the streets of Paris. In the short time this French Bistro has been open, it has become a favorite of locals and visitors alike. The menu includes traditional French Onion soup, escargot and ratatouille. The wine list is extensive and the desserts are scrumptious. Tip:  You should make a reservation.  It’s not a very big place and its popularity guarantees a wait if you don’t have one

Barcelona Tapas: If you are looking for a place to celebrate a special occasion, Barcelona Tapas is the spot. This rooftop restaurant overlooks downtown and the food is spectacular. Spanish tapas are small, appetizer size portions, which is a great way to have a little bit of everything on the menu. Some of our favorite selections are baked goat cheese, spicy garlic shrimp, paella, and of course, the sangria. Tips:  Plan on dining around dusk so you can watch the sunset and catch the nightly fireworks around 9pm.  Daily lunch promotions are available from Noon-4pm. 

La Posta: Located right in the heart of downtown, along the malecon, is La Posta a Restaurante Italiano. La Posta offers a casual atmosphere and one of the best pizzas in town. The homemade ravioli is one of my favorites and the risotto is tasty as well. Tip: Pizzas are only 65 pesos on Mondays. 

View of Daquiri Dick's outdoor patio 

Daquiri Dick’s: The award-winning Daquiri Dick’s has been a favorite for 40 years. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, guests can dine on the outdoor patio or on the beach. The menu can be characterized as Mediterranean/Mexican cuisine with an Asian influence. Their roasted red pepper salsa is unbelievably delicious…I could just sit, eat the chips and salsa and skip the main meal!  Tip: Daquiri Dick’s makes their own pastries so be sure to stop by for Sunday brunch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment